Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Engagement of Salvation


Engagement for marriage is one of the biggest desires of young people today. Recently, I stepped into this wonderful season of life known as engagement. Along with the thrilled anticipation of knowing I am going to marry the most wonderful, beautiful, and godly woman in the world, I have also learned a lot about how I should view my relationship with Jesus Christ.

As an engaged man, I am obviously super excited! I am not ashamed to tell people about how Kenzie and I met, how I proposed, and how we are living our lives in preparation for marriage. In fact, I find it a joy to tell people about these things in my life. It would be crazy if I was too ashamed to tell people that I love Kenzie and am marrying her! Sadly, many Christians, including myself, have not always shown our faith and love for Jesus the way we should. We should not be ashamed to tell people about how we met Jesus, what he has done for us, and how we are living our lives differently because of him.

The Bible talks about how the church (those who believe in Jesus as their Savior) is the bride of Christ. If there is a bride, doesn’t that mean there is going to be a marriage? Yes! Here are some verses talking about the bride and marriage.

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

Revelation 19:7-9 “Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure"-- for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, "Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb." And he said to me, "These are the true words of God."

Revelation 21:9 Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.”

Isaiah 62:5 For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your sons marry you, and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.

Ephesians 5:31-32 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

Here is the truth. If you are a Christian, you are engaged to Christ! There is going to be a marriage supper and everything! If you are a Christian who is waiting to get married, the question is not, “Will I ever get engaged and married?” The question is, “When are you going to start living like you are engaged to be married to Christ?”

Since I am now engaged, I am realizing how this new framework of thinking would change my relationship with Christ. Kenzie and I are looking forward to our day of marriage with great joy. Christians also look forward to the coming of Jesus and the marriage supper we will have with him. I am not ashamed to tell people about my relationship with Kenzie. Christians also should not be ashamed to tell people about our relationship with Jesus. Kenzie and I are preparing for the wedding day. Christians should be preparing for the wedding day by being obedient to the commands of Christ. Be excited about your relationship with Jesus just as you would be excited about your relationship with your fiancée!

The moment you were saved by Jesus you immediately entered into engagement with Christ. What would happen if we lived our lives with the excitement of engagement? How would this change our perspective about telling the world about Jesus? 

No comments:

Post a Comment